12 of the Best Homemade Burger Topping Combinations
You will notice that the only thing that these recipes all have in common is that they include cheese! Since the focus of this blog is cheesy recipes, I wanted to stay true to that and provide serving suggestions that are cheese related and unique so you can surprise your foodie friends with an unexpected burger platter.
Each of these combinations has a variety of flavors and textures, and this is the key to developing a recipe. If you want to substitute certain items, try to find something different, but still within the particular flavor family to substitute. This means that you should swap sweet and acidic for something else sweet and acidic, or salty for salty to keep the combination balanced.
Beef patties generally hold a bit less flavor than some other meats, as so will pair with a wide variety of toppings.
- Sliced blue cheese, caramelized onions, and arugula
- Grated aged Cheddar, tomato chilli jam, cabbage coleslaw
- Sauteed mushrooms, bacon, and shaved Parmesan cheese
Lamb has some well known and traditional pairings when it is prepared as a roast or a rack, and these same flavors work perfectly in burger form (although perhaps not all together as they are quite strong).
- Mint chutney, red onions, spinach, and crumbled feta cheese
- Roasted red peppers, tzatziki, sliced cucumber, and goat cheese
- Sundried tomato, mushroom, smoked Gouda, and olive tapenade
In my humble opinion, the best accompaniments for salmon are fresh and acidic, and not too strong as the flavor is quite delicate.
- Mango salsa, cilantro, jicama slaw, and sliced Dubliner cheese
- Crumbled feta cheese, arugula, and avocado
- Lemon and dill mayonnaise, asparagus, Pecorino, and kale
The world is really your oyster with this one! As other dishes are proof of, chicken goes super well with almost anything. Here are a few ideas that I chose to try and add something new that you may not have tried before.
- Mango ginger Stilton cheese, arugula, cucumber, and butter leaf lettuce
- Slices of Brie melted with cranberry, spinach, and red onions
- Bread and butter pickles, bacon, slaw and Cheddar