Bacon & Cheese Muffins
Is there any better breakfast bite than a bacon and cheese muffin? They are my fave grab-n-go morning snack, and I also love to add some onion, chives, as well as extra egg just to round out the food groups.
The recipe for these delicious lil’ guys is below, but the only real golden rule is to stir the batter as little as possible. I liken this to just waving the wooden spoon at the batter, and not actually touching it…. I read somewhere that eight rotations through the batter with a spoon should be enough, and I do have to emphasize that I often leave lumps and dry patches in my batter, and it all seems to meld together perfectly when its in the oven.
What You Need
Large muffin tin with 12 cups
50g salted butter
2 crushed cloves of garlic
2 cups of grated cheese (3/4 cheddar with 1/4 Parmesan works well for this recipe)
3 rashers of cooked bacon torn into small pieces.
½ diced onion
2 cups all purpose flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 ¼ cups of milk
¼ cup sour cream or plain yogurt
½ cup vegetable oil
Optional: ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
Optional: 8 stems of finely chopped chives
How To Make
- Preheat your oven to 350F / 180C.
- Melt butter and mix in the crushed garlic. Use this to grease your muffin tin, but keep some aside to brush the muffin tops.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sour cream, and oil together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and add the grated cheese, parsley, bacon, and diced onion before you stir.
- When everything is in the bowl, use a wooden spoon to lightly mix the batter.
- Divide the batter into your muffin tin, brush the tops with the left over garlic butter and bake for about 25 minutes, or until they spring back if touched in the center.