Chicken and Spinach Cannelloni Recipe
I know cannelloni is usually just stuffed with spinach and ricotta cheese, but I actually like a more robust filling in pasta, so this worked out nicely! Admittedly, the filling I made was not the easiest to stuff into the shells, but it was worth it in the end.
We are moving soon, so my goal in life has become to empty out the freezer. Somehow I had three bags of spinach stuffed in there, so I thought up this spinach and cheese heavy cannelloni. Of course, I had frozen chicken taking up space too, so I added that for some extra protein.
You Will Need:
A lasagna dish and a skillet
Olive oil for cooking
2 chicken breasts finely diced
2 cups of sauteed spinach with the water squeezed out
1 onion diced
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 jar of four cheese or tomato basil pasta sauce
1 cup of grated cheese
Salt & pepper for seasoning
How To Make:
- Cook the onions and garlic until transparent.
- Brown the chicken pieces in the skillet.
- Steam or saute the spinach until it is soft and squeeze any excess liquid out.
- Mix the onions, garlic, chicken, spinach, 1/2 of the pasta sauce, and 1/4 of the grated cheese in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the remaining pasta sauce in the bottom of the dish. Rinse the jar with water and add that too.
- Stuff the filling into the shells and lay in the dish.
- The sauce should squish up between the shells and mostly cover them so they can cook evenly.
- Spread the remaining grated cheese on top and bake until golden brown.