Summer Recipe Series - Healthy Taco Salad
I know that using the term 'healthy' before the name of a dish that is usually anything but healthy, is a tough promise to live up to.... But I promise that this is healthy!
This salad swaps out iceberg lettuce for spinach and arugula so you get a bigger nutrient load, and keeps the fat levels to a minimum by being adaptable for any type of ground meat, garnishing with a little feta cheese, and omitting the crispy tortilla bowl (don't worry though - that crunch is still there!!)
As with most of the salad recipes I post, this one is a bit of a 'freestyle' in that you can add and subtract ingredients to suit your taste. Some more ingredients I recommend adding are diced bell peppers, roasted sweet potato cubes, grated or sliced cheese, or even rice.
Some of the ingredients require prep, so just get everything out onto your board, grate, slice and prep everything down to the cheese, then you can build the salad quickly.
You Will Need (makes 4 meal size salads)
Frying pan and 4 individual salad bowls
1 bag of Doritos (or any corn chips)
500g ground meat (any type of meat will work)
Small can of chipotles in adobo sauce (you could use regular salsa or chipotle sauce)
Your fave salad greens mix (I used spinach and arugula)
Cherry tomatoes cut in half
1 can of corn kernels (you can use frozen for this as well, just thaw in warm water before making the salad)
1 can of black beans
1 diced red onion
1 diced jalapeño
1 bunch of cilantro with leaves pulled from stems
Optional: Grated or sliced cheese
How To Make
- Brown the ground meat in a frying pan along with ½ of the red onion, the jalapeño, chili seasoning and chipotles (including the adobo sauce).
- Cook thoroughly until the mixture is quite dry, and drain excess fat from the pan.
- Put a layer of salad greens in each bowl, and stack some tortilla chips along one side of each dish.
- Drain the corn and black beans, then sprinkle on the salad.
- Add tomatoes, cilantro, the other half of the red onion, and avocado.
- Top each salad with the meat mixture, feta, lime juice, grated or sliced cheese (if you are using it) and more cilantro.
- I don’t use a dressing for this salad other than lime juice as I find it already has so many flavors with the corn, tomatoes, onion, meat etc. If you wanted to dress it, I recommend this creamy avocado and cilantro vinaigrette.