The Best Ever Mac & Cheese
Why use processed and packaged mac 'n' cheese when it is so easy to DIY cheese sauce and just throw in whatever pasta you have in the cupboard? The recipe below begins by walking you through how to make cheese sauce, and ends with a dish of the best ever macaroni and cheese.
Let me know which combo of optional ingredients you love! My favorite combination of optional add-ins is almost a tie between beer-sauteed onion with diced cooked bacon or beer-sauteed onion with blue cheese. If I have left over blue cheese that needs to be eaten, I will always throw it in to add a sharp delicious tang to my mac 'n' cheese.
You Will Need:
One small saucepan, and a large oven proof dish (or individual ramekins)
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 1/4 cups warm milk
Salt & pepper
1 1/4 cups grated cheese
3 cups cooked macaroni elbows (or any type of short pasta)
Optional ingredients include beer-sauteed onions, diced cooked bacon, blue cheese, and even frozen peas.
How To Make:
- Begin the cheese sauce by melting the butter in your small saucepan on a low heat. Once melted, add flour and stir until it forms a smooth paste.
- Add the warmed milk while stirring the mixture continuously on a low heat. After some time, you will have a smooth sauce with a consistency similar to drinking yogurt.
- The cheese can now be added in portions to ensure the sauce doesn't thicken too much.
- Use salt and pepper to tweak the taste how you like it.
- Add the cheese sauce and any optional add-ins to your cooked pasta and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into an oven proof gratin dish (or your individual ramekins), spread some grated cheese on top, and put in the oven on broil until the top is golden brown and slightly crispy.